I often heard the word COVID-19 in the press, so I misunderstood it as the name of the new coronavirus.
When referring to a pathogen, it is referred to as SARS-CoV-2.
When discussing or reporting, be careful to distinguish between words correctly.
We investigated the characteristics of DNA virus and RNA virus.
DNA viruses include poxviruses such as smallpox, adenovirus, and HBV.
There is little diversity in the structure of the genome.
There are many double-stranded DNA viruses. DNA viruses have the ability to repair mistakes in DNA replication that occur during amplification, so they have fewer mutations than RNA viruses.
RNA viruses, on the other hand, literally have RNA in their nucleic acids.
It is classified into a type that does not mediate DNA from genomic RNA and a retrovirus that temporarily copies genomic RNA as DNA by reverse transcriptase.
I was surprised to read an article about retroviruses, and the idea is that RNA viruses and their hosts have co-evolved.
It seems that traces of viruses internalized in the genome of living organisms are referred to as "virus fossils." It may have happened that the virus entered the host's DNA and mutated to bring about diversity and promote evolution.
I found an interesting theme, so I would like to continue to investigate the properties of viruses and living things.